Earlier this year, we wrote about the wonders of creating your own capsule wardrobe. In case you missed it, a capsule wardrobe is a pared-down collection of classic pieces that you can turn to again and again when building an outfit. The Trove team loves this concept because it helps us pull stylish outfits together quickly and easily.
Now that winter is close at hand, it’s time to review your capsule wardrobe and make a few updates. Today, we’ve got a few tips on how to rotate pieces in and out to ensure that you’re ready for everything that the frosty season has to offer.
Tip 1: Start Fresh
A good capsule wardrobe encourages minimalism, simplifies dressing, and reduces the need to create new items. When using the capsule method, the first step is to take inventory of your current closet. Pull everything out and sort it into a few categories:
- Items that are must-keep closet staples (high-quality goods that wear beautifully from season to season)
- Seasonal clothing (lightweight dresses and skirts, summer tops and accessories) that can be stored until the spring
- Items that need attention (repairing tears, replacing missing buttons, dry cleaning, etc.)
- Items that you haven’t reached for in a while (check out our handy guide to help you determine what to keep and what to donate or consign)
Tip 2: Identify Gaps
Now that you’ve inventoried your items, it will be easy to spot the gaps in your capsule wardrobe. Think about your lifestyle in the wintertime – do you spend lots of time outdoors, or will you be attending a few dressy holiday parties? Perhaps you’ve got lots of versatile shirts and blouses, but need to bring in some outerwear options. Make a list of the pieces you’d like to bring in to help guide you during shopping trips.
Tip 3: Prioritize Quality Classics
Fashion trends come and go, but a well-built capsule wardrobe can serve you for years to come. When sourcing new pieces for your closet, prioritize the following:
- Quality Materials: Invest in high-quality materials, such as cashmere, pure wool, silk, and leather. Investing in quality pieces that will stand the test of time means that you will need to replace these pieces less frequently, which helps keep waste out of landfills (and money in your wallet!).
- Classic Shapes: Look for classic styles that won’t seem dated as fashion trends come and go. This winter, everyday basics are hitting the runways in droves, but they’re far from boring! White tops, black dressers, and structured blazers create a perfect neutral background for trendier accessories such as scarves or bags.
- Tailoring Opportunities: When trying on new pieces, take a look at the construction to see whether something could be tailored to fit you perfectly. A good tailor can shorten sleeves, adjust hems, and even alter denim to guarantee that every piece in your wardrobe makes you look – and feel! – great.
Tip 4: Make Room for New Items
When you’re ready to let go of the pieces that you’ve pulled out of rotation, consider consigning with us! Trove Fashion accepts gently-used clothing and accessories. Click here to learn more about how the process works, check what we accept, and review our seasonal intake guide.
Tip: Do you follow Trove Fashion on Instagram? You can browse many of our new arrivals on our feed, see our styling suggestions, and shop our stories on Tuesdays and Thursdays!